Monday, May 30, 2011

Visiting Grandma

I told the boys to be very respectful & quiet while visiting the care center where Grandma lives.  I was so proud of them for keeping quiet & for being so sweet.  Keaton stood in front of Grandma showing her a picture he colored & he told her he wanted to give it to her but he needed to finish coloring it first.

The boys were having fun trying on her granny glasses.



It was so sweet to watch how kind and gentle Caleb was with Grandma.  She had a stroke a while ago & can't talk very good now.  She drools & has to have a rag so she can constantly wipe her mouth.  She took us for a walk to show us around her care center but she forgot her rag.  Caleb noticed & all on his own he said "Grandma I'll go back to your room & get your rag".  I was so proud of him for noticing that her drooling was bugging her & he wanted to help.  You had to be there but it was tender & I was happy to see my little boy growing up. 

They were all so good and respectful.  I appreciate it so much because it wasn't that long ago when they were younger & there seemed to be NO control.  Now I can sit back & we can all enjoy a visit with Grandma without anyone being too loud or going crazy!


Grandma thought they were funny with her glasses on.

Grandma has been lonely since Grandpa died.  I was reading her scrapbook to her & when I got to the page of her & Grandpa I read a part about their love for each other & she cried.  I'm glad she likes the place she lives now though.  She is still quilting & doing word searches & that makes her happy.  Getting old really doesn't look all that appealing to me.  I need to appreciate my health & youth while I have it.  She walked us to the door & I drove back by the door because I had a feeling she'd still be there watching & sure enough she was standing there waving goodbye to us.  It was a good visit.

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Such a cute grammy, but so sad to get old and drool. :( That is so nice that your kids were good for her.

Tanielle said...

That was such a sweet post. What a lovely grandma you have. You really should be proud of your boys. I was tearing up a little just reading. I've been thinking about my grandparents a lot lately with Memorial Day. I have only had one pass away and still think of him often. Enjoy them as long as you can, I can tell you are. :)